[RFC] SRS Section 2

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 3 08:00:18 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> James Robertson wrote:
>
>> I think having the client be able to parse the profile and do a
>> validation of it in the same form that xmllint does today is what I am
>> thinking.  This is just for sanity checks more than anything.  Having
>> the client be able to edit profile files would be a really nice add to
>> go with this functionality.  If we stick with a traditional DTD, then
>> we get same as xmllint gives us today.  If we go with a schema based
>> design, I think we get more options.  We do need to decide the path
>> forward.  Either way, I want us to stick to the current DTD's
>> functionality with the adds we have already talked about.  I am not
>> interested is other profile formats like the ALFS Simple Syntax or
>> other things.
>
> I don't think client(ui) should do validation, let that function be
> built into the server(daemon), and make the client as dumb as possible.
> Remember, the ui and daemon may very well be running on the same
> machine, not necessarily across the network.  And if you are running
> across the network, you need to be able to speak to the daemon/server
> anyway, otherwise you won't be able to do anything.  The client can
> 'ask' the server to validate it and view the results.  No need to build
> that extra step into a client that we want to make as simple as we can
> for porting purposes.

That makes sense.  Have the client(ui) be able to connect to one or many
servers at the same time, with at least one connection being a
requirement to do anything.  This will allow what you are suggesting,
that we can have the server do parsing, validation, testing etc
functions and report back.  I like.

>> Now I know we cannot fix every possible problem, especially some of
>> the "configure" script type checks because each server may implement
>> the commands differently as Gerard mentioned.  This is correct, but I
>> would at least like to know that I have checked a profile against the
>> DTD to at least know it is sane and that I did not miss something stupid.
>
> Right. But again, as there inherently needs to be communication to and
> from the daemon to do anything, let the daemon handle all the *real* work.

Agreed.  Jeremy - can you make sure all this stuff makes it into the
wiki for flat text file you are taking.  My life has exploded on me ATM,
so I am not going to be able to keep the notes necessary to get this
stuff into the SRS.  All these points and notes should be put in there
with the references section used to point to these emails.

Thanks
James