alfs-ui and alfsd relationships

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 22:15:14 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> I think one client can talk to multiple daemons at once. When opening a
> connection to the daemon during the initialization tell the daemon which
> port the client will be listening on. Isn't this how most protocols
> work? Your web browser will open a local port to connect to
> remoteserver:80 when loading a website?

This will likely be TCP or Unix socket connections, so there is no need
for anything like that. The daemon will bind to a socket, then listen()
on it. When it gets a connection it will accept() it, then communicate
bidirectionally over that socket. It doesn't need to care about the
client's IP address, port numbers or anything else (unless you want to
log or selectively accept connections based on them).