alfs-ui and alfsd relationships

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 14:41:08 PST 2005

Hi guys,

Can someone clarify the relationship between alfs-ui and alfsd for me
please?  If the alfs-ui is going to send profiles to alfsd, and say
"Here you go, start building", we obviously(?) don't want more than one
alfs-ui connecting to any given daemon (whilst mildly amusing, watching
two LFS builds be attempted on the same box simultaneously is unlikely
to do anything other than waste CPU cycles).

So, to reverse that situation then, how many daemons can a single
alfs-ui connect to?  Unless the ui and daemons can communicate over
configurable ports I'm not sure anything other than a 1->1 relationship
is possible, is it?  Of course, the machine with the ui installed can
launch more than one instance of the ui, each talking to a different
daemon, hence we get the "manage more than one build from one machine"
possibility, but is that the only way of achieving that goal with the
current design?

Regards,

Matt.