Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 11:49:56 PST 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote these words on 02/02/05 13:38 CST:

> The client provides an iterface to the user.  This User Interface is
> used to choose which profiles to run, validate those profiles, then pass
> them to the server.
>
> The server is a daemon which listens for connections from the client,
> receives profiles down that connection and processes those profiles
> (i.e. converts them into commands to be run, and executes those
> commands).  It will also have to pass status information back up to the
> client, so the user interface can display error messages, etc. to the user.

Thanks, Matt, for the explanation. This is sort of what I had in
mind, but Jeremy H's last message confused me.

However, I'm with those that think client-server is confusing
terminology.

I think that User-Interface Host (UI host) and build-target would
be much easier to understand.

It is for me anyway.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [GNU ld version 2.15.91.0.2 20040727] [gcc (GCC) 3.4.1]
[GNU C Library 2004-07-01 release version 2.3.4] [Linux 2.6.8.1 i686]
13:46:00 up 9 days, 3:48, 8 users, load average: 0.61, 0.22, 0.07