Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 11:38:01 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Could you explain it differently, perhaps without joining remote
> machine and local machine so much?

OK, here's what I understand (of course I could be just as confused as
others!):

The client provides an iterface to the user.  This User Interface is
used to choose which profiles to run, validate those profiles, then pass
them to the server.

The server is a daemon which listens for connections from the client,
receives profiles down that connection and processes those profiles
(i.e. converts them into commands to be run, and executes those
commands).  It will also have to pass status information back up to the
client, so the user interface can display error messages, etc. to the user.

That's it in its simplest form - additional functionality will certainly
be added to both the client and server, but I think that's the core
stuff covered.

Hope this helps,

Matt.