Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed Feb 2 11:36:26 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 02/02/05 13:11 CST:
>

>>Not quite. In fact the reverse.  We're talking about administrating
>>installs, either remotely, or locally.  The user interface is the client
>>and connects to an alfs daemon, either on a local machine or a remote
>>machine and asks that daemon to start building, either on the remote
>>machine or the local machine. The daemon is the server in that it is
>>responding to the client's request to start building and returns logs.
>>Where you store your profiles is of no consequence - the daemon just
>>needs to be fed them.
>>

>As one who feels fairly competent in client-server technology,
>the process, as you describe it, is incomprehensible. I'm more
>confused now than I was before you said the above.
>
>Could you explain it differently, perhaps without joining remote
>machine and local machine so much?

Randy, what he's talking about is one machine, connecting out to a bunch
of daemons simultaneously, and directing them, instead of having
multiple clients connecting in to a central server, grabbing the profile
from the central server, and acting on their own.  It's backwards, if
you ask me.  The machine you're building LFS on, you know you must have
physical access to it (otherwise, how would you get the ALFS program
going in the first place?).  In the model these guys are describing, you
have to have physical access to the server as well.

-J-