Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 11:19:45 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 02/02/05 13:11 CST:

> Not quite. In fact the reverse.  We're talking about administrating
> installs, either remotely, or locally.  The user interface is the client
> and connects to an alfs daemon, either on a local machine or a remote
> machine and asks that daemon to start building, either on the remote
> machine or the local machine. The daemon is the server in that it is
> responding to the client's request to start building and returns logs.
> Where you store your profiles is of no consequence - the daemon just
> needs to be fed them.

As one who feels fairly competent in client-server technology,
the process, as you describe it, is incomprehensible. I'm more
confused now than I was before you said the above.

Could you explain it differently, perhaps without joining remote
machine and local machine so much?

--
Randy

rmlinux: [GNU ld version 2.15.91.0.2 20040727] [gcc (GCC) 3.4.1]
[GNU C Library 2004-07-01 release version 2.3.4] [Linux 2.6.8.1 i686]
13:16:00 up 9 days, 3:18, 8 users, load average: 0.16, 0.06, 0.07