Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 11:11:16 PST 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Exactly.  The machine holding the profiles is the remote machine.  The
> machines you're building LFS on are local to you, you run the client on
> them, they access the central server for the profile to build with, and
> commence the build.

Not quite. In fact the reverse.  We're talking about administrating
installs, either remotely, or locally.  The user interface is the client
and connects to an alfs daemon, either on a local machine or a remote
machine and asks that daemon to start building, either on the remote
machine or the local machine. The daemon is the server in that it is
responding to the client's request to start building and returns logs.
Where you store your profiles is of no consequence - the daemon just
needs to be fed them.

--
Jeremy H.