Top things to see in first ALFS

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Wed Feb 2 10:32:09 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 05:19:55AM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 21:15, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>> parse a LFS book to retrieve the commands.  URI's would be helpful in a
>> scenario like Gerard brought up, where you're instructing several
>> machines to build the same thing.
>
>I use a central repository. Basically /usr/src/sources is accessible
>through my IP address and Apache controls who has access to it on a
>per-IP basis. It works out nicely that way.

The tool may employ a hierarchial way of getting sources. First check
local building directory see if they already been unpacked there, then
check local repository see if it exists there, and then checks the
central repository, see if it was stored there, then if the url is
availible, get it from the internet. As a last resort, do a freshmeat
search see if it can figure out the url. Mine also checks sourceforge,
gnu server, and if the url is an ftp directory, checks the
individual files, if the url is an http page, it checks the links in
the page.

The internet parsing method is quite fragile though. It probably
won't work after sitting in my disk corner for a year. :)

--
Hui Zhou