[RFC] SRS Section 2

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 09:17:53 PST 2005

Hui Zhou wrote:

> In discontinued builds: for blfs, it requires some sort of dependency
> test. But frankly, it is easier to ask the profile writer to hard code
> the dependency info into the profile; automatic detection more than not
> doesn't do what one expect. For lfs, it is really supposed to go from
> start to finish. Instead of depedency tracking, I would rather the tool
> remember its status between the runs and know how to continue incase
> errors or interruptions.

We are not saying that alfs will be all knowing about package deps.  The
profile writer would still need to place the deps in the XML profile
file to tell alfs what the deps are. This is where the logging spec
comes in.  To answer the simple question - what has been installed?
There are other ways of course to determine if a package is installed,
but I think the log is the best way to go, especially for a specific
version of a package that a dep calls for.

>> Serial works for the first time. Then for the rest of its life the
>> system will be maintained using small upgrades and installations that
>> alfs can take care of. Ensuring dependencies will cause less "oops I
>> forgot to build this package first" because nothing tells you that it is
>> required until the package's 'configure' script fails on you.
>
> That is the blfs part. Certainly one can try. But not easy.

Again, that is where the logging facility shines.

James