[RFC] SRS Section 2

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Wed Feb 2 08:51:02 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:53:49AM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 21:38, Hui Zhou wrote:
>> >But that is not the point.  We rarely do a serial build.
>>
>> We only does serial building so far :) Check Gerard's reply.
>
>Maybe I didn't word it right or you misunderstood. Serial building is
>but one part of it. The example I gave is my own situation where I more
>often than not do incremental builds. Nobody will rebuild an entire LFS
>system just to add or reinstall a single package.

Yes, I did misunderstood in some degree. I refer to serial building as
against parallel building where multiple packages are being built at
the same time (it make sense for smps).

In discontinued builds: for blfs, it requires some sort of dependency
test. But frankly, it is easier to ask the profile writer to hard code
the dependency info into the profile; automatic detection more than
not doesn't do what one expect.
For lfs, it is really supposed to go from start to finish. Instead of
depedency tracking, I would rather the tool remember its status
between the runs and know how to continue incase errors or
interruptions.

>Serial works for the first time. Then for the rest of its life the
>system will be maintained using small upgrades and installations that
>alfs can take care of. Ensuring dependencies will cause less "oops I
>forgot to build this package first" because nothing tells you that it is
>required until the package's 'configure' script fails on you.

That is the blfs part. Certainly one can try. But not easy.

--
Hui Zhou