XML

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Wed Feb 2 07:33:08 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:21:40AM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
>>Maybe you can look at it this way: The profile is source code. The
>>validation process is the compiler. Then it is accepted and now a proper
>>executable piece of code.
>
>Very good example Gerard! And it follows that while the compiler may
>very well compile your source code and produce an executable binary,
>that binary may not at all do what you expected, due to semantic errors
>in the source code that the compiler could not find for you. This is the
>identical situation that we are talking about with validating XML, but
>there's no reason to stop doing it just because it can't find _all_
>errors.

We are talking about a validating process before actual parsing.
The compiler parses without using another process to validate.

>I know that I have had xmllint catch far more errors in my
>profiles than I would have expected :-)

That is because the old dtd is too cumbersom and awkard.

I write "cp src dst"

And in my profile in ogdl, 99% errors are my typos or logic error.

I used that profile built the whole base lfs.

So you encountered far more extra errors just due to that damn DTD!

(Sorrry for the exclaimation mark :)

--
Hui Zhou