Top things to see in first ALFS

jamie bennett jamie at linuxuk.org
Wed Feb 2 07:30:53 PST 2005

Quoting Hui Zhou <zhouhui at wam.umd.edu>:

> Jamie, you missed the point of his. The server don't need parse the
> stream since no profile stream is being sent. Try re read his post.

Unless the actual, say bash commands are sent, the server is always going to
have to _parse_ what ever you send it. By parsing I mean translating what it
gets given into the actual command. If you are sending the bash commands then it
limits the server to only working in a bash complient enviroment.

It also means the client will have to parse the profiles and create the
commands, un-necessary duplication if we have say 4 different clients.

Another disadvantage is that a specific tag may translate into different
commands on different architectures. A tag on a sparc machine may execute
different code than that on a x86_64 one. If we keep the tag->command parsing in
the server then the server can translate into the right commands with the
clients un-aware of what target they are building on.

> Hui Zhou

    --    Jamie