XML

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 07:21:40 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Maybe you can look at it this way: The profile is source code. The
> validation process is the compiler. Then it is accepted and now a proper
> executable piece of code.

Very good example Gerard! And it follows that while the compiler may
very well compile your source code and produce an executable binary,
that binary may not at all do what you expected, due to semantic errors
in the source code that the compiler could not find for you. This is the
identical situation that we are talking about with validating XML, but
there's no reason to stop doing it just because it can't find _all_
errors. I know that I have had xmllint catch far more errors in my
profiles than I would have expected :-)