Top things to see in first ALFS

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 07:18:57 PST 2005

Hui Zhou wrote:

> Jamie, you missed the point of his. The server don't need parse the
> stream since no profile stream is being sent. Try re read his post.
>
> He is voicing another Client/Server model.

I don't believe this model will work out very well...

For example, in chapter 6 of the LFS book, we enter a chroot environment
and run a number of package installations. This really does _need_ to be
run as a single process if at all possible, the same way nALFS currently
does it. Jumping in and out of the chroot environment for every single
command in chapter 6 would be very slow, difficult and likely to cause
problems that would not occur under normal operation.

However, we certainly do _not_ want to send the entire list of chapter 6
commands to the server to be executed as a single unit; that makes
logging extremely difficult, and removes the possibility for the server
to send fine-grained status updates to the client. In other words, the
server (in my opinion) needs to have some of the semantic details
surrounding the commands so that it can most efficiently execute them.
Given that, it makes sense to just let the server have _all_ the
details, rather than parsing the profile into some intermediate format
that contains most (if not all) of the same information.