The dumb bot model [Re: Client/Server - please straighten out the terms]

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Wed Feb 2 07:01:03 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:23:48PM -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>If things are written properly, the machines on which LFS is being built
>will not need anything on them at all - a simple bootcd (a la JH's
>livecd) with the ALFS client should be all that's necessary - the
>profile resides on another machine, which directs the client to go out,
>download the packages, and build them.

This is another vote for my second model: the DumbBot Model :-)

Matthias Berndt is the other person who seem to quite an adovacate on
this too.

In this model, essentionaly the client or the controling terminal need
handel the whole nine yards. It is not quite possible to close the
client in - say office, and then go home and open another client and
continue. It does have benefits against the first modle the
DumbTerminal Model: simple or none dependency on the building sites,
which is quite attacting consider the building sites is extremely
crappy during the process.

--
Hui Zhou