Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 06:59:54 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 21:23, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>  From what I've been reading, the "server" runs on the machines where
> LFS is being built, and the "client" is what feeds the profile - this is
> not the right terminology.

To take the FTP example again. You have a client - ncftp - that connects
to the server - proftpd - and the client part does all the work: it asks
the server to upload a file to the client or to accept a download from
the client into the server. ALFS would do the same thing. A server
process won't know about profiles as the profiles are given to it by a
client process that I control.

> If things are written properly, the machines on which LFS is being built
> will not need anything on them at all - a simple bootcd (a la JH's
> livecd) with the ALFS client should be all that's necessary - the
> profile resides on another machine, which directs the client to go out,
> download the packages, and build them.

That can work and you setup a profile server more than anything. Or
basically a FTP type setting where you download files from. But then you
need to control the client (bootcd or a built machine) from each
machine. If you turn it around and run an idling daemon on the systems
you can monitor and control from one computer. It becomes easier to
manage (less separate logins to machines and having a bunch of SSH
sessions running to run ALFS in)

--
Gerard Beekmans