Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 04:18:29 PST 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Reading thru the latest discussion, the terms Client and Server seem to
> be getting very mixed up.
>
> In a Client/Server model, there should only be ONE server - this should
> be the machine that holds the profile/XML, validates that it's sane, and
> tells the clients (which could be one, or several) on how to operate.

Er. Btw, out of curiosity, where is it said that a Client/Server model
*must* by definition mean only one server?  I've never come across
anything that defines it so narrowly. True, it often is one server
feeding one or more clients, but what happens when you start talking
about clusters, or in Windows terms, domains? Are you saying that
because those allow for multiple servers they are no longer following
the client/server model?

 From my understanding, a client/server model means that a user
initiates some sort of request at the 'client' and the server, often as
a remote machine, responds to those requests and 'serves' results back
to the client. I believe that is all that was meant when we started
using the terms client and server.

--
Jeremy H.