[RFC] SRS Section 1

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 04:08:12 PST 2005

Hui Zhou wrote:
> As I tried to express, even with XML, it can be extremely simple that I
> can comeup with a parser overnight without dependency or it can be
> complicated enought for me to spend weeks to study the w3c spec.

So you spend a few hours creating your custom parser, with your custom
profiling method.  It does what you currently need. Great. Later you
have a need to extend that functionality and find yourself hitting a
wall in terms of *how* to implement it.  You also find out that if you
had only taken a bit more time and studied the spec, that the
functionality you want already exists for XML and would have easily
plugged in to your profiles had you gone that route.

Even as you said in other threads, why re-invent the wheel?  We have a
standardized language that provides the functionality we need. It is
fully extensible, so we can always add more options later.  And it
doesn't *have* to be overly complex. We can keep it as simple as we want.

Now can we please close this thread?

James, I've also been thinking that I'd like the SRS moved from the wiki
and placed in Subversion. It would be nice to automatically see changes
to the text appear in alfs-log while we are working on it.  When it
starts nearing completion, we can place a copy on the website as a
reference. What do you think?

--
Jeremy H.