[RFC] SRS Section 1

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 21:54:28 PST 2005

Hui Zhou wrote:

> As I tried to express, even with XML, it can be extremely simple that I
> can comeup with a parser overnight without dependency or it can be
> complicated enought for me to spend weeks to study the w3c spec. Its
> like it ranges from scooter to full size hummer. The hummer comes with
> higher maintainence albeit brings extra whistles. My philosophy is to
> stay simple and know what I need.

Will your simple parser handle:

- XIncludes, or some other means of building a combined profile from
lots of little pieces

- character encoding, to allow the user to be able to put entity values
into their profile using their native language/encodings

- validation to ensure that already-known required elements are present
(for example, a [copy] element missing a [source] or a [destination])

- additional attributes added by the user for their own needs, but
ignored by the alfs tool

All of these already part of standard XML (with the addition of
XIncludes), and handled correctly by every compliant XML parser. These
are also things that we know we already need, because we have been using
them and they have been beneficial. While the profiles could certainly
be built without them, there are good reasons to continue using these
features.