Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 21:48:03 PST 2005

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> If things are written properly, the machines on which LFS is being built
> will not need anything on them at all - a simple bootcd (a la JH's
> livecd) with the ALFS client should be all that's necessary - the
> profile resides on another machine, which directs the client to go out,
> download the packages, and build them.

Well, I think that it could be named either way and be perfectly valid :-)

Most of us are using the term "client" to refer to the machine with the
user interface that the operator uses to make things happen. "Server"
would then be the "slave" or controlled system, without any sort of user
interface.

Using these terms, the boot CD would start up a "server" instance, to be
controlled by a client somewhere else on the network. I think we are all
in agreement of the functions to be performed at the two ends, just not
on the terminology.