Top things to see in first ALFS

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 20:15:06 PST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> The only thing I would take issue with here is "source files are kept
> there". In reality, the profile will specify where the source files will
> come from, and it could likely be any number of places; I had proposed
> even adding URIs so that the server end could request the file from the
> client end over the already-open connection (this would be the ideal
> scenario for a package upgrade to a dozen machines... just connect to
> them and tell them to do it, they get the instructions and the tarball
> from your machine).

Nice to know we're thinking alike here. ;) I had something similar in
mind and I don't recall reading your suggestion for this before.
Something similar could be done if we want to tell the server to first
parse a LFS book to retrieve the commands.  URI's would be helpful in a
scenario like Gerard brought up, where you're instructing several
machines to build the same thing.

--
Jeremy H.