[RFC] SRS Section 1

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 15:46:06 PST 2005

James Robertson wrote:

> just assumed it was.  Bad error on my part if I am incorrect.  What are
> our alternatives?
>
> The "data" is the configuration of the build.  That is why we are using
> XML I believe.

A profile could just be a list of shell commands copied from the book
and pasted into a text file. XML is useful because it organizes the data
into discrete chunks, allowing us to define more clearly what we want to
do with it.  It also allows us to do more with the commands than just
execute them if we so desire.  XML is just a very good way of arranging
and describing our data and commands.  Very useful in this case.
Anything else, really, would feel a step or two back.

--
Jeremy H.