[RFC] SRS Section 2

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 14:51:08 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 14:37, Hui Zhou wrote:
> >         * Validation of profiles before any other actions take place.
>
>     What's the point of validation? The only matter is whether the
> tool can understand the profile or not. Is there any way to validate
> whether a profile is sane or insane?

Run xmllint or something similar agains the DTD to make sure it's a
valid ALFS profile. You can't just feed it a random XML file and hope
that something will happen. This could be done at the client level too
though it might make sense for the server process to do this last step
of sanity checking befored doing anything.

> 	With the dependency info in the profile, does that mean the
> tool should be able to do parallel building/installing? Why not?

That could be one use. Consider this scenario:

you may not run an entire profile all at once. I constantly add packages
myself to existing profiles when I want to add a program to my system.
After a while I may not remember if the dependency libraries are already
installed or not since looking at the profile may not always say as
much. Or you may have uninstalled a depenendent package at some point.
Say you want to build KDE. It depends on QT so if QT isn't installed
yet, it doesn't really matter. It would (or could) automatically build
QT before the requested KDE packages. If you don't you have to wait for
kde's configure scripts to fail with a missing QT error.

> >         * A package uninstallation feature.
>
> 	That's tough. That may bring the tool close to a full fledged
> package manager. It can be a huge task.

I wouldn't complain if that becomes the case. Right now we don't have
anything of that nature so if it slowly gets added, the alfs tool only
becomes more valuable.

> 	Is there any possible profiles that builds a system need
> uninstallation of some other package? If not, make it a function of a
> complete seperate program. As all the installation data is logged and
> hopefully is analysed into a data base, it is not difficult to make a
> program to do uninstallation if dependecy is just ignored.

It could be a separate tool yes. But, alfs installs it. It would make
sense that alfs can also remove the components it installs.

--
Gerard Beekmans