Programming language

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 11:36:45 PST 2005

Hui Zhou wrote:

>> Which is why languages like python, ruby, etc. are great - by and large
>
> All may depend on many modules. And the more modules it uses, the less
> wheels one reinvents.
>
> Generally, I find perl or python have more dependency than c counterpart.

Well, let's take a look at the current tool.  It currently uses an XML
library (libxml2), HTTP library (curl), GUI library (Ncurses), and
probably others - let's call it 3 dependencies for the sake of argument.
  ges.

If we were to adopt something like python, I'm of course not suggesting
we re-invent the wheel and implement our own XML, HTTP and GUI
functionality - that's just a ridiculous waste of time.  What I'm saying
is that python (and probably other scripting languages) have similar
modules available as a part of the base install, e.g. xml.sax, httplib
and curses.  Our dependency count therefore goes down to just one
package (python).

Regards,

Matt.