[RFC] SRS Section 1

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 11:17:48 PST 2005

Hui Zhou wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 06:52:06PM +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
>> That is quite misleading.  XML is a *data* markup language.  I'd much
>> prefer to see something closer to the w3c's definition (see
>> http://w3.org/XML/).  Something like:
>>
>> Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a simple, very flexible text
>> format used to exchange a wide variety of data on the Web and elsewhere.
>

> (Not to accuse the above sentence, just one side thought.)
> If it is for the web, I can see the need for such general flexibility.
> Does alfs need that flexibility? Detailed examples?

I'm not sure quite what your question was getting at.  Why does alfs
need to use XML?  Or why do we need the flexibility of exchanging data
on the Web?

I've a feeling it's the latter.  If so, I don't think we *need* the
flexibility (at least not yet), but it's a feature we get for free from
using XML.  If that's clouding the definition of XML in relation to ALFS
then we can easily scrap that bit of the sentence.  Like I said though,
that definition was based loosely on the introduction on the w3c's site.

Cheers,

Matt.