Top things to see in first ALFS

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Tue Feb 1 11:15:46 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:20:19AM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 10:24, Hui Zhou wrote:
>> I will propose one model: the server run standalone, which mean it
>> works by "alfs profile run" and it will run from start to end without
>> problem if the profile is proofed.
>
>I personally was more thinking along the lines of a system has an "alfs"
>process running in the background that isn't doing anything.

No problem. Run "alfs profile wait" :), it is an easy option to
implement.

>> If alfs is developed without specific concious of package manager, I
>> quite suspect that some stage, one would call for program from scratch
>> again.
>
>That might not be an issue. If there is proper installation logging we
>have all we need. A package manager can be built around those logs. And
>if more info is required, the logging component of alfs can be extended
>to provide additional information (such as the dependencies involved
>when building a package).

The reason I raise the question is because they talked about xml log,
which sounds like building a package manager database during the run.
If that is the case, IMHO, better plan well and do well. Otherwise,
why not just dump the log as it goes; as you said and I agree, all the
stuff are there, one just need a log parser to analyse the logs and
turn it into database, which can be done at the same time of building
or at any later time.

--
Hui Zhou