GUI profile maintenance programs and conditional execution

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 11:04:26 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 11:59, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Obviously, not everyone running alfs will be wanting to build the book
> exaclty as it is written. So you're going to want to be able to edit it.
> Here's how I envision it happening:

More to the point: I install software that isn't in the LFS and BLFS
books. Not taking into account I don't build my systems exactly by the
book. I do build stock LFS-book systems but I add things to it. Bit of
profile that copy tarballs back and forth and setup a couple of
additional things that go beyond the LFS book and are part of
customizations that I apply to every LFS system.

In my case a verbatim by-the-lfs-book profile isn't feasible.

> You parse the book (or optionally load other saved profiles) to grab the
> skeleton of commands and package information.  Then, before anything is
> run you are able to edit (via a call to vim, or possibly even a simple
> internal text editor) the commands and/or package versions for any
> package. You then save your changes, and the commands are run.  This
> functionality should even be available during the middle of a build,
> ie., you pause your build, make a change, and resume.

That would be great. If a package build fails you now exit nALFS, fix
the profile, restart nALFS, run again. During run-time editing would
save some time and hassle.

--
Gerard Beekmans