GUI profile maintenance programs and conditional execution

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 10:48:48 PST 2005

Two more things I haven't seen come up yet.

Just something else I wouldn't mind having. It may fall out of ALFS'
scope.

I'm sure everybody maintains their own set of profiles on top of what
might be maintained by ALFSers already. Right now package upgrade for me
is often just a matter of opening an entities file and update the
version number. Build instructions probably remain the same. A little
help with this wouldn't be bad in the way of a program that would do
this for you. Enter updated versions in a list provided by a program and
hit save and done. It would save time.

Same with editing profiles. A nice editor could make all the tags
transparent to a degree and make writing profiles easier. I suppose a
general XML-aware editor should do the trick too as long as the DTD is
available, which it always is.

That's more a nice thing to have. I don't know the status of conditional
execution. Some talk in the future has occured. I've lost track of the
status.

--
Gerard Beekmans