Programming language

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 1 10:25:27 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 08:30, James Robertson wrote:
> new tool is programmed in.  I just want it to work.  Here are my
> thoughts on the matter to start discussion.

<snip>

I would choose plain old C for the server too. It doesn't do anything
fancy: listen on a port for a TCP connection, authenticate, validate,
run whatever it's given without question.

The client is where we need the GUI the most. Taking my own dozen system
scenario as an example again, an overview of the status of each system's
installation would be beneficial. Now I don't really care myself how
it's done. Ncurses works for me. A nice QT application would provide
additional eye candy. But aside from eye candy a GUI interface that QT
can provide might be nicer to work with than a console only version.
This is like discussing vim vs emacs so I won't go down that path.

But we want the server process to be fast and responsive. Not every
system will be a 3 GHz system out there. Python and Perl speeds might be
circumspect on the slower machines. Then again..if it takes a minute to
start a server process...compared to a build that would take 20 hours,
would anybody care?

--
Gerard Beekmans