Top things to see in first ALFS

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Tue Feb 1 09:24:36 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:29:57AM -0600, James Robertson wrote:
>My top 5 are (in no particular order):
>
>.* Book parsing
>.* Full client server over local/LAN/WAN/Internet using standard
>protocols and security algorithms

Talking about client server without talking in details what are the
jobs for each is so abstract.

I will propose one model: the server run standalone, which mean it
works by "alfs profile run" and it will run from start to end without
problem if the profile is proofed.

The server can be signaled if it need to be paused and listening to a
socket and accepts whatever commands the client sends in. The server
only responds with simple status code (like running, waiting,
finished), all the other info is dumped into logfiles with timestamp.

Since I am attracted by djb's daemontools atm, I propose have another
supervise program to run the server and handle most of part of
communication with clients.

Just one propose to drive the discussion further.

>.* An update to the full DTD implementation to include support for
>conditional execution
>.* Log XML DTD implementation

I never get why the log need be in XML.

>.* package manager type functions

If package manager is planned, better bring it to the top of table
now. To do just automated building is not quite exciting really. A
simple bash scripts or make file and nALFS do the job quite fine. But
a package manager can drive the LFS into a full fledged distribution.
To a package manager, how the data (installed package version,
file location, the whole nine yard) are going to be stored is 90% of
the business.

If alfs is developed without specific concious of package manager, I
quite suspect that some stage, one would call for program from scratch
again.

--
Hui Zhou