jhalfs and BLFS

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Thu Dec 15 12:32:49 PST 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:53:24 +0100
Filip Bartmann <filbar at centrum.cz> wrote:

> > Gentoo is good
> I don't want Gentoo,:-( becouse I like LFS-I want have full control on
> building packages, but with some automation.This is reason for which I
> like (B)LFS. How far is implementation of alfs? I'm sorry, that I
> can't help with this, becouse I'm newbie in programming.

If you automate everything you will never learn, you may as well use
Gentoo (or even Winducks). The essence of LFS is to understand by doing.

ALFS (n-, jh-, or whatever) should not be used by newbies - it's ideal
for developers who need to build regularly or on a lot of platforms
though.

Of course, I can't stop you from automating if you want to, but I
really do recommend that you don't.  If you want to automate AND
learn then write some little scripts yourself, for instance:

---------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
PROGRAM=libxml2-2.6.22
SDIR=$PWD
TIMEFORMAT="%1R Elapsed Time - $PROGRAM"

if [ -d $PROGRAM ]
then
   echo "source directory $PROGRAM already exists - delete it first"
   exit 1
fi

{ df
tar -xvf $PROGRAM.tar.?z*
pushd $PROGRAM
time {
                ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-history &&
                make &&
                make check &&
                make install
     }