Compile dies with "cannot find -lm/libxml2.la"

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 17 19:45:51 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 16:34 +0100, jamie bennett wrote:
> Quoting Oscilated <oscilated at hotmail.com>:
>
> > > To fix your problem just edit the make file and change
> > >
> > > XML2_LIB = -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -lm/libxml2.la

> > > XML2_LIB = -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -lm
> > >
> > > Jamie
> >
> > Worked like a charm (at least it compiled).  Any thoughts on how this might
> > negatively effect the program?
>
> Its just fine. I've been running it like this for a looonnnggg time now :)

Though this should really be fixed in the configure script. The problem
is using the wrong option to get the name of the libtool archive file
for libxml2 which is where the /libxml2.la comes from. Currently it uses
xml2-config --libs and pipes that into a sed to get the proper prefix,
but that doesn't always work (as can be seen from above). The right way
would be too pass --libtool-libs to xml2-config. But I think that even
to put that fix in would make matters worse, the way configure and
Makefiles are generated IMHO are just a bit too kludgey, I've seen
better in other OSS packages.

Thomas