flex and help2man

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 3 21:22:11 PDT 2005

Torsten Vollmann wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm building LFS-6.1 on my LFS-6.0 machine using the profile-LFS-6.1.tar.bz2
> nALFS-script.

This sounds very much like the race condition that we encountered when
building flex for the LiveCD. It's closely related to the reason we run
the following in the LFS Book:

touch doc/flex.1

The reason for this:

"The GNU autotools will detect that the Flex source code has been
modified by the previous patch and tries to update the man page
accordingly."

So, in scripting there can be a race condition where there's not enough
of a difference in time between the date of the newly patched files and
the touched doc/flex.1 file, so configure still thinks it needs to
update the man page.

This issue was solved on the LiveCD builds by using:

patch -Z -Np1 -i $(PATCH) &&
touch doc/flex.1

The -Z flag sets the time on the patched files to the UTC date included
in the patch, instead of todays date.

It would probably be a good idea if nALFS incorporated that into its
profiles.  CC-ing alfs-discuss.

--
JH