nALFS User's Guide

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 24 14:06:25 PDT 2004

Joachim Beckers wrote:

> There's no need to apologize. I think we've all been quite busy over the
> last weeks. In fact, this is the first time this week I get to see my
> computer :-o.

Ditto (on the busy part). In fact, the entire team has been unable to
spend much time on ALFS at all for a couple of months now.

> Yes, the users guide should be like some kind of extended README. I
> would divide it into chapters that each describe a step in the process
> of using nALFS. That is: starting the app (with an explanation of
> command-line arguments, ...), selecting packages to build (eventually
> editing elements), starting-pausing-stopping-resuming the build process,
> etc. I would also include a chapter about error-/bug-reporting.

This seems like a good plan to me too.

> I don't agree completely. Keep in mind that we're talking about the
> _nALFS_ HG, and that profiles are not nALFS specific. I would rather
> have a separate profile-editors guide (PEG) (or maybe a hint).

Personally, I see little need for an _nALFS_ hacker's guide, but a need
for a _profile_ hacker's guide. Anyone who wants to hack on the nALFS
code should be able to understand it reasonably well without a guide,
and if they don't they can come to the list and ask questions. An
additional concern with the guide is that it would have to be updated
very frequently (as code changes are made that change structures, APIs,
organization, etc.) and that could be a detriment to working on nALFS
itself.

I also agree that putting up wiki pages to hold proposed outlines and
flesh out the content is a good idea.