dumb network question

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 23 11:27:16 PDT 2004

Japie wrote:
> Yust finished my nalfs with ntpl and runs like a charm...
> But whereis ifconfig and route? (or am I now being hit very hard because
> this was in the lfs book I didn't read this time...)

I have no idea where they are, because you didn't tell us what you
built. Actually, you did tell us what you built (nalfs), but that's a
tool, not a system, so I wouldn't expect "ifconfig" and "route" to have
appeared as part of an "nalfs" build.

However, reading between the lines, I would assume that you built an
LFS, using either the testing or unstable profiles; if so, net-tools has
been removed in favor of using iproute2, so ifconfig and route are gone.
There are equivalent utilities in place, and they are used by the
bootscripts. If you want to learn how to use them, the documentation in
the book, the package sources and Google will help you.