xorg instructions from LFS CVS

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 2 17:01:45 PDT 2004

Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> On Saturday 02 October 2004 01:04, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
>>The command giving me fits is this:
>>
>>*sed -i -e "s@#include <linux/config.h>@/* #include <linux/config.h> */@" \
>>`grep -lr linux/config.h *`*
>

> I think this command can be simplified to the following, if I understand it
> correctly:
>
> grep -lr linux/config.h . | xargs sed -i -e '\@#include <linux/config.h>@d'
>
> Can someone confirm that this command has the same effect (note that it
> deletes the line instead of commenting it out, it's simpler IMHO)?

I am the one that put this sed into the BLFS book. I used the
replace function of sed, as opposed to the delete function, as
I don't like removing lines from source files, unless I have to.

And if I must, then I'll use sed -i.orig to make a backup copy
of the file. In the case of Xorg and XFree, I wasn't looking to
to it simpler, I wanted to have the original source available
by simply removing the comments.

To me, this somewhat keeps the file intact, should someone
want/need/whatever to see what the sed did.

Probably overkill, though....

--
Randy