svn help

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 30 14:25:02 PST 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:
> Anyone know how I could go about copying the 1.2.4 branch into trunk? A
> diff between the two yields 20000 lines of changed code so a merge
> doesn't seem like the best of idea's but I'm open to suggestions from
> the svn guru's.

Yeah, I saw your commit that you reverted...

I would just "svn remove ALFS/nALFS/trunk", then "svn copy
ALFS/nALFS/tags/1.2.4 ALFS/nALFS/trunk". Unlike CVS, the trunk is not
"special", and tags don't have anything _inside_ them that identifies
them as a tag, they are merely copies of the trunk as of a particular
point. That means it's safe to just remove the "trunk" directory (after
all, it's just another view of the repo), and replace it with a
different view.

I have not actually done this, so I'd be careful about it, but I
understand SVN well enough to think that this is the right way to do it.
If there's a way to make a backup of the raw repo before changing this,
that would be smart, just in case I'm wrong :-)