New Features for Profiles

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 26 08:11:57 PST 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> Implementation wise it would just execute the (download) tags and any
> (reference) tags inside of (unpack).

Good luck with that. I've been down that road (mentally) before, and it
is fraught with complications... here are a few off the top of my head:

- what if the download element is inside a stage element with a base
specified? have to execute the stage element too

- what the stage element to be executed include a user-change to a user
that hasn't been created yet? or a chroot to a directory that hasn't
been created yet?

- if you don't change to the user that the stage requests (if it does
already exist), then downloading as root may leave the files
inaccessible to the user who really wants them while the profile runs

- what if the download element is going to download into a directory
that will be created by the profile itself?

See what I mean? Many complications. You could certainly come up with
some combination of things that may work for the "official" LFS profile,
but then nALFS would become an "LFS profile tool", not a generic ALFS
profile tool (I know, that's a fine distinction, but it's still there).