New Features for Profiles

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 26 07:53:52 PST 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> The unpacking based on file extension is also a good idea and would fix
> many a newcomers problems. Looking back through the mail archive there are
> references to people using the wrong tarballs so I think this is again,
> sufficient enough excuse to add it.

If you do this, the profiles will become incompatible with all previous
versions of nALFS, and all other ALFS tools. The download/unpack
elements will no longer have complete file names specified, and thus
won't work without this modified version of nALFS.

My vote is this: don't do it. We are not in the business of making
things "point and click" easy for newbies who can't read the README
files and ensure that they have the packages that match the profile. We
even give them a wget script, for pete's sake :-) Yeah, my opinion is
harsh, but I'm personally not thrilled about the number of people who
download nALFS and a profile and don't have any clue at all about what
it's doing for them.