New Features for Profiles

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Nov 26 01:22:15 PST 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

>Jeremy Utley wrote on 26 November 2004 07:06
>

>>If you're interested in these things, feel free to write the code and
>>submit it as a patch.  Right now, we're looking for a way to integrate
>>this type of functionality with the existing nALFS program, which would
>>involve adjusting the profiles.
>>

>I agree with Hui Zhou on this one. I know nALFS is going into maintenance
>mode but adding a --ingnore-md5 option wouldn't be that hard to do and
>would be a sufficient enough improvement for it to be added.

If it's pretty simple, I say add it in.  It would definately be nice.

>The unpacking based on file extension is also a good idea and would fix
>many a newcomers problems. Looking back through the mail archive there are
>references to people using the wrong tarballs so I think this is again,
>sufficient enough excuse to add it.

Yeah, it would be nice, but I think this would be very difficult.  The
<unpack> element already uses the extention to determine what process to
use to unpack it.  The thing is, how would nALFS find the tarball in
question if we don't use the complete filename?  Do we have it look for
each particular extention, i.e. look for tar.bz2, tar.gz, .tgz, .zip and
so on?   We sure can't do any kind of wild-card matching, because then
you'd end up also catching patch files and the like.

>As for parallel builds, that should be left up to the user IMO.
>

>>-J-
>>

>	--	Jamie
>
>BTW - I've not been around for the last couple of days on IRC because I'm
>fighting with a x86_64 LFS build and its winning at the moment. I'll be
>back by the end of the weekend though.

No problem, Jamie :)  Keep fighting, and you might give Ryan Oliver or
Chris Lingard a shout - both of them have gotten successful x86_64 builds.

-J-