New Features for Profiles

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Nov 25 23:05:44 PST 2004

Hui Zhou wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 11:51:20PM -0500, Thomas Pegg wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:23:37 -0500, Jeremy Huntwork
>> <jeremy at jenacon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Just wanted to put forward a few new features I'd like to see
>>> implemented into the current nALFS profiles, if there are no
>>> objections.
>>>
>>> 1) I'd like to move all the packages that the profiles expect to use in
>>> the config_separate dir to bz2 format. First of all, it makes it
>>> consistent and limits the possibility of mismatch between what you've
>>> actually downloaded and what the profiles expect. Also, since we
>>> have at
>>> least 2 fast and reliable ftp servers that house all our packages (in
>>> bz2 format) it makes sense to me to use those as primary download
>>> locations and make our profiles match. If there are any files that
>>> aren't released as bz2, of course we can re-compress them and produce
>>> our own new md5 sums, as I believe the ftp mirrors already do.
>>

>> That would be great. I know that Kevin proposed to start using the FTP
>> mirrors a while back (on the website list I think), his biggest
>> concern was bandwidth usage I believe. But really the amount of
>> traffic ALFS would generate I think would be small, compared to LFS.
>

> How about give the nALFS a little intelligence so it can figure out
> what is the packagename in pkg.tar.gz or pkg.tar.bz2 and what is the
> tar format and figure out how to unpack it upon seeing such archive?
>

>>> 2) There are many I've talked to that *always* remove the md5sum
>>> feature
>>> from the profiles.  While I think it's good to leave them in by
>>> default,
>>> I'd like to see at the very least a note in the README that provides a
>>> sed command to remove the <digest> tags from the profile, and at
>>> most, a
>>> shell script included to do that.  In this way I hope to make it
>>> *slightly* more optional to make use of the md5sums
>>

>> That one will be easy, I know I've got an old sed lying around here
>> somewhere that did just that, a shell script would be even better.
>

> Instead of modifing the profile, how about give nALFS an option so it
> can optionally skip checking the checksum?
>

>>> 3) I'd like the profiles to support parallel building, that is, passing
>>> the -j flag to make. We could make a new entity in general.ent that
>>> specifies the parallel build level and have it set by default to "".
>>> Then, for all packages that are known to build sucessfully with a
>>> reasonable parallel level (2-3 x the number of processors in the
>>> machine) we can include param tags encasing the entity.
>>

>> I think I'll let you handle this one, I don't know a whole lot about
>> parallel building. But it otherwise sounds like a good idea.
>

> nALFS should be able to improvise on this option also, IMHO.

If you're interested in these things, feel free to write the code and
submit it as a patch.  Right now, we're looking for a way to integrate
this type of functionality with the existing nALFS program, which would
involve adjusting the profiles.

-J-