New Features for Profiles

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Nov 25 21:03:54 PST 2004

Thomas Pegg wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:23:37 -0500, Jeremy Huntwork <jeremy at jenacon.net> wrote:
>

>>Hello all,
>>
>>Just wanted to put forward a few new features I'd like to see
>>implemented into the current nALFS profiles, if there are no objections.
>>
>>1) I'd like to move all the packages that the profiles expect to use in
>>the config_separate dir to bz2 format. First of all, it makes it
>>consistent and limits the possibility of mismatch between what you've
>>actually downloaded and what the profiles expect. Also, since we have at
>>least 2 fast and reliable ftp servers that house all our packages (in
>>bz2 format) it makes sense to me to use those as primary download
>>locations and make our profiles match. If there are any files that
>>aren't released as bz2, of course we can re-compress them and produce
>>our own new md5 sums, as I believe the ftp mirrors already do.
>>

>That would be great. I know that Kevin proposed to start using the FTP
>mirrors a while back (on the website list I think), his biggest
>concern was bandwidth usage I believe. But really the amount of
>traffic ALFS would generate I think would be small, compared to LFS.

Just set the profiles up to use the ftp.lfs-matrix.de mirror - Justin's
already indicated he has PLENTY of bandwidth to spare on that mirror.

>>2) There are many I've talked to that *always* remove the md5sum feature
>>from the profiles.  While I think it's good to leave them in by default,
>>I'd like to see at the very least a note in the README that provides a
>>sed command to remove the <digest> tags from the profile, and at most, a
>>shell script included to do that.  In this way I hope to make it
>>*slightly* more optional to make use of the md5sums
>>

>That one will be easy, I know I've got an old sed lying around here
>somewhere that did just that, a shell script would be even better.

sed -i "/digest/d" *

That command in itself should do it fine.

>>3) I'd like the profiles to support parallel building, that is, passing
>>the -j flag to make. We could make a new entity in general.ent that
>>specifies the parallel build level and have it set by default to "".
>>Then, for all packages that are known to build sucessfully with a
>>reasonable parallel level (2-3 x the number of processors in the
>>machine) we can include param tags encasing the entity.
>>

>I think I'll let you handle this one, I don't know a whole lot about
>parallel building. But it otherwise sounds like a good idea.

This one's pretty simple to implement as well.  For most packages, you
simply pass a -j# parameter to make - the only exception is glibc, which
needs something like PARALLELMFLAGS=-j3 make

-J-