New Features for Profiles

Jeremy Huntwork jeremy at jenacon.net
Thu Nov 25 17:23:37 PST 2004

Hello all,

Just wanted to put forward a few new features I'd like to see
implemented into the current nALFS profiles, if there are no objections.

1) I'd like to move all the packages that the profiles expect to use in
the config_separate dir to bz2 format. First of all, it makes it
consistent and limits the possibility of mismatch between what you've
actually downloaded and what the profiles expect. Also, since we have at
least 2 fast and reliable ftp servers that house all our packages (in
bz2 format) it makes sense to me to use those as primary download
locations and make our profiles match. If there are any files that
aren't released as bz2, of course we can re-compress them and produce
our own new md5 sums, as I believe the ftp mirrors already do.

2) There are many I've talked to that *always* remove the md5sum feature
from the profiles.  While I think it's good to leave them in by default,
I'd like to see at the very least a note in the README that provides a
sed command to remove the <digest> tags from the profile, and at most, a
shell script included to do that.  In this way I hope to make it
*slightly* more optional to make use of the md5sums

3) I'd like the profiles to support parallel building, that is, passing
the -j flag to make. We could make a new entity in general.ent that
specifies the parallel build level and have it set by default to "".
Then, for all packages that are known to build sucessfully with a
reasonable parallel level (2-3 x the number of processors in the
machine) we can include param tags encasing the entity.

Any comments? Thomas, are these changes ok with you? I can work on
number 3 myself, unless any of the other editors beat me to it. :)

--
Jeremy Huntwork