ALFS Direction Revisited

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 17 14:05:52 PST 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> Good points all Matt.  I think what were getting at in the old mission
> statement was that ALFS provides a framework for whatever you want it
> to do.  It can (future) build a box with all 4 of your requirements
> (all good btw), but with custom profiles can be used to do all sorts
> of stuff.  Some of us are looking for package manager type functions
> as well which goes into the realm of systems administration.  This is
> the same thing that shell scripting provides in some cases.  The
> logging DTD is going to be a huge step in the right direction IMO.
> Using nALFS to do builds and/or sys admin work with all the logging
> will really come in handy.  Actually, something I want to see in
> nALFS2 is a log parser/analyzer feature to rip the log apart in the gui.

At the same time,  I don't think the ALFS project really wants to take
on development of a tool that could do *every* system admin task for
you.  If it can handle some tasks that could be classified as system
administration, that's fine, so long as they fit into the notion of
automating an LFS build.  Otherwise, we might as well call this project
something besides Automated Linux From Scratch.  So saying the tool is a
system admin tool, IMO, wouldn't be accurate, because although it may
perform some sys admin tasks, it's focus is the building and managing of
LFS, not general system administration.

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm going to make a news item now of the three
goals ahead of us.

--
Jeremy Huntwork