nALFS and AMD64

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 15:40:25 PST 2004

Mainly directed at Kevin P. Fleming

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 11:48 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>> Jamie Bennett wrote:
>>
>> > ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64
>>
>> As far as I'm aware, --libdir has nothing to do with where to find
>> libraries, it's only for telling the package where to install any
>> libraries it wishes to install.
>>
>> The only ways I know of to control where libraries are searched for are
>> /etc/ld.so.conf, LDFLAGS and the gcc specs file.
>
> Ah, my bad. I had it in my head that --libdir is a configure flag for
> specifying where to look for the libs.
>
> But, even with my /etc/ld.so.conf looking like
>
> /usr/lib64
> /lib64
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /lib32
> /usr/lib32
> /usr/X11R6/lib32
>
> I still get the configure output saying
>
> checking for the default library search path... /lib /usr/lib
>
> Maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here but isn't there a way
> of specifying on the configure command line where to look for additional
> libraries? Maybe I need to do some more reading.
>
> -- Jamie

There is a whole can of worms here. Intend to post sonething to
lfs-dev in the future.  All is fine on x86; but x86_64 things get
complicated

Do something like:

ld --verbose | more
on you best LFS system
Do you agree with the libraries that it is searching?

On 64 bit I have my binutils as
make tooldir=/usr
make -C ld clean
make -C ld LIB_PATH=/usr/lib64:/lib64
make tooldir=/usr install

And yes /etc/ld.so.conf is a problem if you have bi-arch stuff.

There are lots of bugs where packages look in the "wrong library"

Chris