ALFS Direction

Boris Buegling boris at icculus.org
Sun Nov 14 13:59:23 PST 2004

Mornin',

I have done work on the Hive project's XML parsing tool and after
speaking w/ JH on IRC, I would also be interested in joining in the
nALFS2 effort.

On 14.11.2004, Jeremy Huntwork created this extraordinary piece of modern literature:
>1) Investigate what needs to be done to auto-generate or update ALFS
>profiles when the book is edited. Jamie Bennett mentioned that he was
>going to take another look at lfscmd.

IMHO, this will lead to a lot of kludge, because information is missing
from the book, which is needed to build packages, e.g. names of the
directory an unpacked tarball will create, as it is not always simply
basename $package .tar.{bz2,gz}. To have a clean solution, this
information should be included in the book's XML itself at some point,
we should discuss if and how this could be done.

>done, we can begin organizing a development team.  So consider this the
>re-opening/finalizing of the discussion of our future build tool.

I have some further suggestions:

1) The new tool should support conditional execution of some sort, to be
able to build on different architectures. This could make sth like
Ryan's cross-lfs scripts possible for nALFS.

2) I'm developing an installation logging library, which could be used
for the Uninstallation facility. An older version was posted to ALFS
discuss by me in 2003 (Message-ID: <20031020154333.GA4434 at icculus.org>).

3) As far as dependencies are concerned, we already have much of that
information included in the books. Building according to a dependency
graph isn't really required for LFS and BLFS already lists optional and
required deps. The tool should first rely on this information.

>As Jamie mentioned in another post, there is now an IRC channel for the
>development of ALFS at irc.linuxfromscratch.org called #alfs-dev.

You can find me there, too, showing up as NeoCool.

Regards,
--
Boris Buegling <boris at icculus.org>