[RFC] Call for new team leader

Joachim Beckers jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 10 11:07:22 PST 2004

Hi,

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> For a variety of personal reasons (primarily due to the new business I
> started a few months ago), I am stepping down as the team leader of the
> ALFS project. I do not have the time to provide direction for the team
> right now, and I can't see that changing in the near future. I have
> enjoyed this role for the better part of a year, and am very thankful
> that I have had a team of helpful, educated and responsible volunteers
> who do a great job keeping the ALFS profiles and other products in shape.

Sad to hear, but that's how it goes I assume. Little boys grow up, start
a bussiness, ... ;-)

> In addition to being a call for a new leader, this message is also a
> call for a new "direction" for this project. As Jamie Bennett mentioned
> in a post earlier this week, nALFS has pretty much fulfilled its
> mandate: it is a reliable, usable and understandable tool for automating
> basic LFS

Agreed.

> and BLFS builds.

Hmm, we need dependency handling for that. #1 on my current wishlist,
but see below for more...

> What we need now are two things:
>
> - a consensus on what direction the ALFS team should go, and what
> services/tools it should provide to the LFS/BLFS community

This sounds like
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=RequirementsDef. Too
bad this page was never finished. I suggest we have a disscussion about
this on the list and finally fish the requirements definition. That will
give us a nice overview of the future.

> - a leader who understands that direction and can manage the team to get
> those things accomplished

Yes, but it won't be me. I've added a page to the wiki for a summary
about the discussion about this. See
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=ALFSTeamLeader

regards

Joachim