[RFC] Call for new team leader

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 01:53:43 PST 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote on 10 November 2004 09:51
>> Jamie Bennett wrote:
> I definately have ideas for the future of nALFS, however, I'm the first
> to admit, I'm NOT a coder at all.  IMO, the future of nALFS should be
> dependency tracking within the profiles, logging of files installed by
> packages, and a client/server architecture, where a "nalfsd" could run
> on a central server, and any clients could get profiles one piece at a
> time from that server.

This would mean nALFS2 would be started?

>> IMO another one of ALFS's biggest downfalls is, surprisingly the LFS
>> community itself. ALFS and more specifically nALFS should, IMO, be the
>> common tool used by _ALL_ LFS members who are testing LFS builds. It
should
>> go hand in hand with other tools such as svn as a requirement. It would
>> make comparing builds from various people a whole lot easier if we used
the
>> same tool and the same profile.
>>
> Jamie, I must respectfully disagree here.

Ok, we will agree to differ. I personally see common testing tools as a way
of forcing out any bugs that may creep in from the variety of ways people
build their LFS systems. We may all use the same commands but it only take
one
small typo to give somebody different results when they are sure they used
the
right commands.

>> Lastly (honest!), I'd like to see auto-generation of the ALFS profiles
from
>> the book ala lfscmd. This could be done with XSLT or some other tool.
>>
> Then, all I can say is, do it!  If you can find a method of turning the
> book's XML into an ALFS profile automatically, without user interaction,
> I'm all ears.  Personally, I don't think that can be done right now
> without more massive changes to the XML structure of LFS itself.

Vasilli did a nALFS profile -> bash script (yaalfs) so I see no reason why
it
can't be done the other way.

>> I'm willing to get more involved as my work commitments have gone the
>> opposite way of Kevins and I actually have more time now :)
>>

> Glad to hear it.  Now, we just need some strong leadership to get the
> ALFS project back moving forward again!

Agreed.

> Jeremy

	--	Jamie