nALFS XInclude problem corrected

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 31 13:07:27 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Thanks to some detective work by Matt, the problem in nALFS that caused
> it to segfault when processing the XInclude version of the LFS profile
> has been corrected. If you want to update your local copy, use CVS to
> checkout the branch-1_2 branch, or get the one-line change from the
> alfs-log mailing list.
>
> This warrants an nALFS-1.2.3 release with this bugfix, but I'd rather
> wait to do that for two things:
>
> - the nALFS tarball includes an LFS profile, and it would make sense to
> wait to create the tarball until LFS-5.1.1 is released and the included
> profile can be that version
>
> - the XInclude conversion of the profile is nearly complete, so it may
> make sense to wait until that is done as well, and that way nALFS-1.2.3
> will ship with the latest and best LFS profile.. although the XInclude
> version of the profile is for LFS CVS HEAD, not 5.1.1, so making those
> same changes to the 5.1.1 profile may not be worth the effort
>
> If these items can be handled in a reasonably short time (I haven't
> actually seen an LFS-5.1.1 announcement yet so I don't know how much
> time there is) then it would be great to release a new nALFS tarball at
> approximately the same time.

That sounds like a good plan.  Release something along with the newest
stable book.  With the work I have done on the books, we should be able
to at least put the syntax doc and the hackers guide into the new
tarball.  With the issues the users guide has caused, I would say to
keep it out for now and just use the README - or I can put a big
note/warning in the users guide to mention it is under development and
to refer to the README.

James